05 April 2007

Sprinklers




Today, classes ended for the first term of my study in Australia. 7 weeks. That doesn't sound like a whole lot of time, now does it? That's not long enough to make any real change. Not long enough to come a long way.

I was struck with a sudden thought tonight when I was sitting in the lounge with the remaining few of us 385ers who haven't gone home yet. In 7 weeks, I've come a long way. The plane ride was just the beginning of the journey.

I remembered the few tears I shed when I felt the plane flying out of San Francisco leave the ground. I remember thinking, holy shit, I don't really like America, but I am extremely sad to see it go! Most of my tears were shed because of the people I left behind and to the uncertainties I was travelling to.

I then remembered my first day here at CSU. The kangaroo popping it's head out of the bush, my RA swooping in and saving me with a phone card so I could call home. Finally being able to unpack my stuff and realizing that I didn't have any hangers or drawers. And the sprinklers.

CSU works very hard to keep SOME green grass on campus by running sprinklers with used water in them. (Australia is in the middle of huge drought, so, it's NOT fresh water.) The sprinklers are rigged with an underground pipe system, the only visible part is the little black part that sticks up about 3 inches. (Yes, I have fallen ASS OVER TEAKETTLE because of them!) Well, they seemed to ignore the fact that they spray up against the sides of all of the cottages. My first night here, I was alone, and didn't know much about the surrounding area except for the pack of kangaroos that I could hear bouncing by. I had my windows open because it was fucking hot and I tried to go to sleep. Well, the SPRINKLERS were due to come on at some point that evening, and me, not knowing what they were noticed that they sounded a WHOLE LOT like rattlesnakes. So, I figured that there were snakes outside of my window, looking in on me. I barely slept that night. Yea, that was my first night in Wagga. My flatmates really like that story.

But today, as I was saying goodbye to people as they left one by one with hugs and whatnot, I was in awe. How far I'd come at putting my roots here in a few short weeks. I still have my bad days. Sometimes, I can't stand these American hating fuckers, but, they're still my Australian family, living in our Australian home away from home. A place where we make the boys watch Grey's Anatomy with us (I know you love it, Jer Bear) every Sunday, where we drink beers at noon time (Australian beer far out competes American beer, for the record), where we land after a night out and switch off whose job it is to make toasted sandwiches. We yell at one another about dishes. Bitch about flies. Gossip about who screwed ("rooted") who last night. It's remarkable, really. And then there's the wine science people, who I feel like I'm finally in with. Dennis, who thinks I'm the plant sen sai of his classes or Chris, who loves to quiz me on biochemistry. Three months ago, I had an entirely different cast of life characters. Now, I've met all of these people that are making me me, and it's been tough, but I'm not complaining.


...til they start bashing my sea to shining sea. Don't hate us 'cause we're fabulous, Australia. And yes, I still require an American flag for over my bed.

Off to Adelaide to see my favorite Australian (MEL!) for the Easter holiday, then off on some misc Tassie adventures! Can we say...I'm pumped! Three cheers for getting out and seeing the world!

Cheers

No comments: