17 April 2007

Beer! I Love Beer!




I don't really have any profound observations about my travels in Tasmania. It all looks a lot like home, a lot more green and cooler. I had a bad feeling as I got on the ferry to come here, like, I just really shouldn't do it. Rightfully so, the first full 24 hours here were pretty close to the worst in my life. Overbooked hotels, stupid Tasmanians, mixed up reservations, stupid cab drivers. But, I'm over it all now, hopefully.

Launceston made up for Devonport's misfortunes. My second favorite brewery in Oz is in Launceston, it's called James Boag & Sons. They gave the best booze tour I've ever been on! And I liked all of the free beer and cheese they gave me. I made some friends, 3 boys from Queensland, that know their beer!

At the moment, I'm sitting in a hostel called the Pickled Frog in Hobart, TAS, enjoying the free internet and the random company walking by. Just loaned a Belgian 50 cents, and met a German who loved to talk about riesling, almost as much as I do. Tomorrow I'll tour the Cadbury factory, and maybe the Cascade brewery (3rd favorite beer in Oz). The following day, I'm going to try to go to Port Arthur and see me some Tassie Devils! They're being threatened by this weird cancer and wiped out quickly. It seems they've isolate a resistant population, but it's unknown as to whether or not they will win this one.

But, I think I will post my favorite Australian beer list here. Undoubtly, the beer is MUCH better down under. I will say, I think I tasted just about as much beer this first term as wine! What a learning curve! Favorites, little exported to the US, too bad, looks like I'll have to enjoy them for you:

1) Cooper's Original Pale Ale (fermented in bottle...rocking!)
2) James Boag's Premium Lager
3) Cooper's Sparkling Ale
4) Boag's St. George
5) James Boag's Premium Light Lager
6) James Squire Original Amber Ale
7) Boag's Draught

All very good.

I've updated my photos to current, finally. They are here: http://www.webshots.com/user/cnorth84

Enjoy!

Cheers

No comments: