21 February 2007

Fucking Kangaroos




Those fucking kangaroos are right outside my house. That's right. Those tall ass things are right near where I sleep. Don't worry, they're all cute and cuddly during the daylight hours, but at night, they're just creepy. Cool point though, if you look closely, one of them has a little joey in her pouch!

Unfortunately, life has started moving quite quickly away from me and Seattle and Sydney are not going to get proper blog odes. Seattle was fabulous. We did all of the tourist-y things like the sound tour and the space needle. I got to see a few Grey's Anatomy hot spots (!) and go to the open market. It was enjoyable to see Anna and see where she lives. I could honestly see myself moving back to the Washington area to make wine, I liked it that much!

After I departed Seattle, my next stop was Sydney. The plane ride was not nearly as torturous and horrible as I thought. Met a few chatty Americans and not so chatty Tasmanians. I wouldn't call it an enjoyable experience, but I wouldn't call it painful. I wouldn't want to do it often, but, I survived.

When I got off the plane the first person to greet me was a little short blond flight attendant and she said "Welcome to sunny Sydney!" Well, she wasn't kidding. I walked up to the window to exchange my currency after I had gathered all of my luggage, and I got my first look out of the door to the outside world. I saw a group of plants that were totally unfamiliar to me, and when the doors swung open and I went through, I smelled, felt, and saw an entirely new world. I can't begin to describe it. The area was hot and humid, and had this spicy, meaty, but green smell to it. (I've come to learn that smell belongs to the gum trees!) My cab ride to my hotel was funny, it turns out that cab drivers in Sydney are just as angry as they are in the States, but only when provoked. Otherwise they are talkative and helpful.

I arrive at the hotel and went out to find some food in an attempt to fight off sleep. I came back with TimTams and a kabob. I fell asleep around 5:30 that night, and I am continually fighting of the urge to still do that. Mel arrived the following day and we did a whirlwind, sun-burning tour of Sydney. We went to major beaches...like Manly and Bondi, and also went to a huge shopping mall. Cell phone fiascos and sunburn aside, it was a very enjoyable day. ( I am still crispy from that day.)

I then took what I'm calling "The Hogwart's Express" from Sydney to Wagga Wagga, my final destination. I spent most of the ride 1) thinking about those I missed back home or 2) thinking that I was motherfucking nuts. (Olivia was right!) As we got further from the city, green got scarce and soil got red. We were being carried further and further into terrain I had never seen.

I arrive in Wagga, finally, and met some students sent to round up international students. On my way into my flat with my suitcases, the three of us travelling together heard something in the bushes right next to my flat. I reckoned that it was a big bird, as did the other two ladies. No moments later did a full sized kangaroo pop his head out of a tiny hole. I had never seen one and didn't have my camera, so that moment will have to live in my head forever! It was un-fucking believable.

Now we're into orientation and I'm trying to have a better attitude about it. I'm settled and I've hung all of my pictures of all of you around, so now you're all here with me. I was briefly homesick yesterday, but, it's so damn hot, I can't pretend to think straight enough to maintain coherent thought.

It's late, I need a rest. More later!

Cheers

1 comment:

Trynn Diesel said...

Catrina, what did you expect from Down Under?! The wildlife are all over the place, even in your backyard! Some of us here are very envious of your whereabouts. Do keep us posted about ur adventures. Miss ya much!