24 May 2010

Day 3: Hauling Ass

Day 3: Winslow, AZ to Oklahoma City, OK: 809 miles

The route was pretty darn basic today. But long. Ben and I did this route in about 13.5 hours with a lunch stop. And several Diet Coke breaks!



I didn't take many pictures because it appears I have friend my camera, in addition to the battery AND two fuses in my car. Thanks for that charger, Walmart, it was swell. Mmmmm, now accepting donations for a new digital camera.

The morning started out in AZ and it was COLD!! The debit function was out at the gas station in Winslow, so I had the pleasure of going in to the inside of the gas station and listening to an old cowboy recount his heroic tale of "saving some Yank" in the wind storm last evening. I was not the "Yank", btw.

We headed on 40 E toward Albuquerque, where I decided I could never live because I am unable to spell it without referencing something. It was nice to see all of the red mesas all the way across on 40 E, but I can tell you, the southwest is not for me. I was completely dried out.

And here's another reason the southwest is not for me....



Come on. I'm no Obama junkie, but...anyway.

After a lunch of burritos and homemade tortillas, we soldiered on. (I'm going to MISS good mexican food!)

We crossed the border into the Texas panhandle, which could have been messy. My favorite part about driving in Texas was this sign:



Other than that, it looked a lot like New Mexico and Arizona. About 50 miles in, it started to flatten out. And when it flattened out...this meant the wind picked up. I was pushing the gas pedal down with the intention of going 80 mph, but the car was only going 72 mph. And I was burning gas 33% faster. Thanks, wind. My mother was relieved though.

On to Oklahoma, where I've never been. I must have something on my face because I was seriously wrong about the southern hospitality coming to the plains here! The two interactions that I've had with the sales clerk and the hotel registration gentlemen were both very odd. They were both kinda mean! Maybe it's my turquoise shirt. Also, I'm feeling some pressure from the extremely frequent signage about Native crafts and clothing. Like, if I don't buy Cherokee jewelry, all will perish. Sheesh!

Another interesting note, 4o runs alongside route 66! Gettin' my kicks! J/k. I did drive on Route 66 very briefly today when I got off of the highway in search of petrol. It was narrow, and vaguely pink. I had guessed that they had used some of the surrounding soil, which was beautifully ferrous red!

Here's a pic of route 66 (from the blackberry, in motion=not ideal):



And here is a pic of that beautiful Oklahoma soil. Lucky I'm in soil science now, so hopefully I'll know all about it soon! :-) Passed a winery on the way through all of this soil, so...anything is possible!




Oh, and did I mention that as soon as we started to "flatten out" in Texas...it got FRIGGIN' HUMID. I was warned about humid. I grew up in humid. But I was not ready for humid. Yuck. I felt like I was swimming through the air. Awesome move, Catrina, moving to PA!

I was hit with a seriously bad case of cold feet/regret/I-miss-California today, but, I know I made the right decision. I'm way like cheesy right now, so, I had to think of this (probably bastardized) quote: “You never really leave a place or person you love, part of them you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind.” I'm going to a good place...I hope. Change is SCARY!

On a brighter note, we're clocking miles to Nashville tomorrow. I'm pumped! I've never been.

Catch you kids on the flipside!

No comments: