27 June 2007

Bird Brain



Christy and I were rambling around Circular Quay and the Rocks today and on our way through the royal botanical garden, we stopped because we saw a big pack of Sulfur crested cockatoos.

Colorful tropical birds that you've only ever seen in pet shops are common place here. As a matter of fact, they commonly wake you up at 4 am with they're constant squaking. Cockatoos are fairly large birds, I'm sure you've seen them. They're parrot sized and then some! But, I commonly see them on the side of the road here. Along with colorful galahs, lorikeets, rosellas, magpies...I see them everyday and not in cages...FAR OUT.

Anyway, the detour to the botanical gardens ended amusingly. (Is that word?) I decided it would be a good idea to pull some of the biscuits that I had in my bag to convince these birds to come land on me for a photo op. (When am I going to be able to so easily convince a non-caged cockatoo to sit on my shoulder, really?) So, I pull out a scotch biscuit (mmmmm, arnotts) and suddenly, I had a very good friend on my shoulder. Not many pieces of scotch biscuit later, I had several friends. I had friends on my shoulders, back, and even one trying to eat my hair. And, I even had one hanging on for dear like to my back pocket...effectively executing a sort of ass grab of sorts. It was really quite the experience. And I do have pictures, but no means to upload them at the moment. Soon enough...check back!

So, if you're ever wondering...yes, sulfur crested cockatoos like scotch biscuits. If you don't want company hanging onto your ass, don't let them know you have food in your bag!


Cheers

No comments: